One of the many variations recommended for a simple tasty fish like Tengra (pronounced “tayngra” in Bengali) which needs minimal flavouring is the alu diye jhol or a thin curry with potatoes. In line with the simplicity it deserves, this recipe uses no ginger or garlic, just some sliced onions and tomato, and a tadka of panchforon which is also optional. In days like these when temperatures are soaring with the heatwave disallowing any intense activity near the hot kitchen, these simple recipes come as a boon with their quick cooking time and need for minimal supervision.
- Tengra fish: 7-8 pieces
- Onion: 1 large, sliced thinly
- Potato: 1 medium, cut into oblong shapes
- Tomato: 1 medium, chopped
- Panchforan: 1 tsp
- Slit green chilly: 1
- Turmeric: 2 tsp
- Mustard oil
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Smear turmeric and salt on the fish and potatoes
- Shallow fry fish in mustard oil and keep aside
- Heat some more oil in the pan and add the panchforan
- Add the potatoes to the pan and shallow fry lightly
- Add the onions and fry till translucent
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil to form a gravy
- Add the fish and simmer for about 10 mins.
- Serve with rice.