Tandoori chicken in general is a forgiving dish; since its primary taste does not depend on the amount of saturated fat that goes into it, it gives one enough liberty to tune it to each one’s liking. Like most grilled meat recipes, this one relies heavily on the marination time, demands very little face time, and a hot oven takes care of everything else. All that saved time one can use in rustling up a healthy salad. This one is a jugaadu version though, using whatever ingredients that were readily available.
- Chicken thighs: 2 nos
- Ginger-garlic paste: 2 tbsp
- Thick yoghurt: 3 tbsp
- Chaat masala: 3 tbsp
- Garam masala: 2 tbsp
- Paprika powder: 1 tbsp
- Lime juice: 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable or olive oil
- Knob of butter
- Make gashes on the chicken thighs and massage well with ginger-garlic paste, yoghurt, garam masala, paprika powder, lime juice and a tbsp of oil.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate to marinate for at least 4 hours. We kept it for much more. Longer the better.
- When you’re ready to grill it, just remove from fridge, sprinkle enough salt and stick it in the oven on 220 deg C for initial 10 mins, reduce heat to 200 for the next 30-40 mins (keep checking and watch out for overcooking).
- After turning off the oven, brush with melted butter so that you do not miss our favorite aroma.
For the spinach and rocket salad;
- Dunk some baby spinach and rocket leaves in ice cold water.
- Prepare a vinaigrette dressing (garlic, lime juice, salt, pepper, olive oil), remove leaves into serving bowl.
- Drizzle with dressing and garnish with some smoked cheese shavings.