Our favorite dinners are made of soups and salads and we often try out various versions of the same to beat the monotony. It just helps to know there are myriad of different ways to rustle up a salad and it is quite easy to bring in variety with tastes and textures. Both of us love the mild mediterranean flavours and this salad hits the right spot all the same. I picked up ingredients that were readily available and tried to dabble with textures.
- Red kidney beans: 1 cup, soaked overnight and pressure cooked with slightly salted water
- Couscous: 1 cup instant couscous
- Bell peppers: 1 cup, cubed
- Baby Arugula/Rocket leaves
- Button Mushrooms: slightly cooked with garlic
- Smoked cheese (I used the highly salty Bandel cheese from New Market)
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Salt and pepper to season
- Soak couscous in warm water for 5 mins, or as per instructions on the pack.
- Layer the couscous at the base of the bowl, followed by the beans, bell peppers, mushrooms, rocket leaves.
- Prepare a dressing with olive oil, lemon juice and zest, salt and pepper.
- Drizzle the dressing on the salad
- Top with shavings of the smoked cheese.