Don’t judge me but I recently wikied up ‘happiness’ when I was feeling low. Can’t say whether it worked or not for me, but it definitely diverted my attention to some funny theories. Here are some gems that I found.
Research has produced many different views on causes of happiness, and on factors that correlate with happiness, but no validated method has been found to substantially improve long-term happiness in a meaningful way for most people.
– Except a regular dose of dope or alcohol maybe. Oh wait, they said meaningful.
“We are happiest when basking in the acceptance and praise of others” – Mark Leary
– That’s so not long-term. Besides the point that we have to work for it to get some praise. And praise plateaus off and disappears if you do the same kind of good things too often to the same people. Some strategy perhaps, the next time.
It has been argued that money cannot effectively “buy” much happiness...
– What bullshit?
… unless it is used in certain ways
– Such as dope and alcohol to drown your sorrows? I don’t know, retail therapy makes me sadder in the long run thinking of the dent in my pocket.
“Beyond the point at which people have enough to comfortably feed, clothe, and house themselves, having more money – even a lot more money – makes them only a little bit happier.”
– [according to whom?] haha, even I wanted to ask the same but someone else beat me to it on the wiki page. Hmmm, I think a lot more money would make me a lot more happy. Serious.
A Harvard Business School study found that “spending money on others actually makes us happier than spending it on ourselves”.
– Dude, who writes this shit?