Jayati, my friend from Kolkata Food Bloggers group, runs a beautiful blog that has a plethora of recipes to choose from. So picking one from her blog for the ‘Know your blogger’ event was a breeze for me. Given my time constraints this week, I felt drawn to her microwave eggless brownie recipe. I am always wary of eggless bakes since I have never had any luck with most of them (except the curry crackers that had come out splendid). So I did contemplate adding an egg white or so, but then went against it and decided to be bold again, Robert Bruce style. (For the uninitiated, Robert Bruce was this king who spent some time alone with a fastidious spider in a cave and learnt to never give up). I did, as usual, tweak the recipe a little, for example I used sunflower oil and butter instead of olive oil and peanut butter. Also used cream instead of milk.
- Self raising flour: 3 tbsp
- Sugar: 2 tbsp
- Cocoa powder: 2 tbsp
- Pure vanilla extract: a few drops
- Cream: 2 tbsp
- Sunflower oil: 2 tbsp
- Butter: 1 tbsp
If you intend to make an eggy brownie, just add an eggwhite into this mixture
- Mix all the above together into a thick gooey paste-like consistency.
- Place it in shallow microwave proof cups. I used tiny petri-dishes that I use for serving dips.
- Microwave at 80% for 1.5 mins.
- Place dishes in fridge to cool down and set (since they don’t have eggs, this seemed necessary).
- Serve with a dollop of heavy cream. Or not.
My end result was like dark chocolate sand, a bit grainy, intense, reminded me of the aate ka halwa my mom makes. Of course, we use ghee in that. This was nice. Next time am gonna try adding some nuts and raisins maybe, like a true blue halwa. And once again, thank you God for the microwave!