Kamalika (silencesings.blogspot.com) dons two important hats, not only is she the creator of the Kolkata Food Bloggers, she is also the Kolkata coordinator of CaL Bloggers’ Table. In fact, I am thankful to my dear friend Mona Sharma for introducing me to Kamalika and her fabulous group of bloggers at a time when I had recently moved to Kolkata and was cluelessly looking for serious food bloggers in the city. I found her very driven and loved her enthusiasm and positivity. I find her to be very fair and level headed, emotional nevertheless. We spoke and chatted frequently but it took me a long long time to meet her and the KFB team. About that in a separate post, but for now, here is a recipe inspired by Kamalika’s apple chicken with green beans recipe that she had once made for her daughter.
I was never very sure of an apple and chicken combination until I read how she had managed to tackle both in the same dish. She had used lots of garlic and pepper in her recipe that used the mush of the apples as the primary base for the gravy. She had used the crunchy beans for texture. I had planned to use what I had in my kitchen, following the basic principles of marrying flavours and textures as she had done. And this is what I came up with.
For the topping:
- Chicken sausages: 4-6 pieces, diced diagonally
- Apple: 1 small
- Capsicum/Green bell pepper: 1 no.
- Garlic: 5-6 cloves, finely chopped
- Butter: knob of
- Pepper: coarsely ground
- Salt: as per taste
- Red wine: for deglazing
- Heat butter in a pan.
- Add the chopped garlic and fry for a min till it releases aroma.
- Add the diced sausages, apples and capsicum and stir vigorously till the apples are mushy, sausages are done and bell peppers retain some crunch.
- Season with salt and coarsely ground pepper.
- Deglaze with a tablespoon of red wine.
The homemade bread is entirely optional. You could always be sensible and use store bought loaf. If you’re not convinced with the easy way out, you must be eccentric and obstinate like me, so for my kinds, here is the recipe for the bread.
For the wholewheat bread —>
- Wholewheat flour: 1 cup, sifted
- Instant dry yeast: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Creamy milk: 1 tbsp
- Water: to bind the dough
- Mix everything together and knead well for at least 10 mins.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave to rise till double in volume.
- Punch it back, transfer to the baking sheet/tray and shape.
- Cover with damp cloth and wait for a second rise.
- Stick it into the oven and bake for 20 mins at 180-200 deg C.
Top freshly-baked bread with filling, slice it into bite-sized antipasto, drizzle with some olive oil if you wish, enjoy.